Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Decisions, Decisions

Zach has had a bit of a rollercoaster ride lately when it comes to his opportunities for his future. He has had his heart set on joining the Marines for a long time and we all support him 110%.

When he had his physical with the Marines they disqualified him due to tendinitis in his knee and shoulder. The tendinitis doesn't affect him, he has been doing weekly Marine workouts for a few months now. He was told to get paperwork from his doctor saying the tendinitis won't negatively impact his training.

Zach was very upset over this and thought he may not join the Marines. He then talked with me about going to Kirkwood Community College. I was supportive, but honest, with him. He would be going to school on his own, no help from his parents with anything. Sure you can get student loans, but then you get to pay them back.

Long story short, we've been going back and forth with this for a couple of weeks now. My mom feelings have kicked in hardcore, it's not fair, I'm not ready to deal with these kinds of issues and feelings. I've been overwhelmed by the strong feeling of thinking I know what he should do, but holding back from telling him so. But I've done well and just told him I would be here for him whatever he decides. How the heck my parents moved me out to Seattle at the age of 19 and left will forever awe me, my mom loves to tell me that I can finally understand how she felt in some way ;)

We had an appointment to meet with the Kirkwood Admissions yesterday afternoon. Zach texted me in the morning that we don't need to because he will be requalified for the Marines :)

YAY!!!!! I may seem like a crazy woman, wishing for my "son" to be able to join the Marines. To be frank, Zach needs to get the hell out of here, as far away from his uncaring father as he can get. He needs the structure, and hell he will be one kick ass Marine!!!!!

I'm sure my own dad will be happy once Zach's dad stops calling him fishing for info on Zach. You would think a father would call his own son if he was truly concerned, not call his son's grandpa only to bash and put down his own son.

I love that kid like my own and I always will. I hope and pray the path he chooses is the right one for him. He will get to travel with the Marines and have his college paid for. Plus just having the honor of being a part of such a special group, well I know that is something he's been hoping for, for a very long time.

No comments: