Thursday, January 15, 2009

-51.....WTF!?!?!?

Ok, so yes I choose to live in this wonderful state of Iowa, so really I shouldn't complain. But -51, what the hell???

Last night I think it was a balmy -25 when I got home from work. I decided that I better shovel the 7 fresh inches of snow because it would be too dark and even colder by the time Kyle got home. So I got Bella in her chair, put on Little Einsteins and gave her some yummy dinner. I put on one pair of socks, a pair of my running tights, a dry fit shirt, fitted yoga pants, long sleeve shirt, another pair of pants and some fuzzy warm socks. I had on my boots, coat, two pairs of gloves, my hat and a scarf wrapped all around my head with just my eyes exposed.

I got out and started, it wasn't too bad.....at first. Our driveway is HUGE, we can fit four full size trucks in the driveway, I knew it would take me almost two hours to get the entire thing done. I'm sure my neighbors thought I was crazy out there shoveling, but it had to be done, too bad I got started after everyone had already used their snow blowers so I got no offer of that kind of help. I got 3/4 of the driveway done before I got what was like an ice cream headache and HAD to go inside. 45 minutes in that cold was too much for me, luckily the redness around my eyes that I was afraid would be frostbite slowly went away :)

This morning was the kind of morning where you step outside, take a breath and everything inside your body is frozen with that intake of a breath. I was like a mad woman rushing to get Bella out of the car and running her into daycare.

The drive into work wasn't too bad, there were idiots that think they can drive super fast and got themselves into accidents of course. It's seriously so cold that the exhaust from cars and the factories somehow freezes on the road, so they were kind of icy in town. I wish everyone would realize that they need to SLOW DOWN in this weather!!

2 comments:

nlaug said...

We don't have snowblower either. It has not been a fun winter. I think we both should have asked Santa for one:)

Shalae said...

I'm sorry! I'm bitching because it's 7 above here! This might be one of just two reasons I'm glad I don't live in Iowa anymore!