Thursday, November 20, 2008

Frustrated

First off: Tybalt is an amazing dog, very loving and protective of his family. He loves Isabella very much and has done AMAZING with her since she was born.

Last night we had an issue, Tybalt was in his crate, we had gotten home and hadn't let him out yet. Isabella was standing at his crate talking to him, a lot of times I have to get her away from the crate because she thinks it's funny if she hits it and makes him jump. Tybalt is like any other dog normally is, don't mess with them when they are in their crate, it's their space and it's mean to do that to them.

So like I said, Bella was talking to him, maybe touching the crate. Tybalt lunged and growled at her, I freaked out a little bit. I got Bella away from the crate (she thought he was playing) and Tybalt immediately laid down in his crate and looked at me like, "oh god I screwed up". I was so upset that he would do something like that, we have said that if he ever acted aggressively towards Bella we would have to find another home for him. Kyle was beyond upset when he got home, he had a long talk with Tybalt and Tybalt had to stay in his crate all night.

This morning while we were getting ready Tybalt was laying on the guest room bed hanging out with me. Bella came into the room and was talking to him, she started shaking her hand in his face and he nipped at her. He didn't bite her, it scared her a little bit, but then she thought he was playing again. I called Kyle and he is again beyond upset.

I don't think that Tybalt is purposely acting aggressive towards Bella. Bella is starting to get very bossy with him and thinks she can do whatever she wants to him. So tonight we are going to let them play together while we are both with them to see how the interaction goes. I feel that Tybalt doesn't fully understand his limits with Bella and Bella doesn't understand her limits with Tybalt. It's going to be fun trying to explain to a two year old girl and a three year old boxer that they need to play nice and not boss each other.

I LOVE Tybalt, he is a wonderful boxer. I really think this is a little bump in the road and we will get over it, we just have to set better limits for Bella with Tybalt.

No comments: